Sign in to follow this  
Terra

Unknown Shores Q&A!

As I am sure some questions may arise, be them through normal gameplay or other things (such as the tone of our community and what we offer) we have decided to make this thread on the forums, so that there is a more tangible place for questions that may otherwise get lost on Discord, were they asked there.

The questions will be quoted and the original posts will be hidden after a while, so that other individuals may have an easier time finding out if one of their inquiries has already been answered.

There are few things to bear in mind when it comes to this thread, other than the rules already in place:

-This is a Q&A. This is not a post to discuss things or to bash someone. Feeding such behaviours will result in your post being hidden.

-The purpose of this is to clarify our intents and other things that may be of general worry or curiosity to the general populace of the server.

-Remember rule #1: Be respectful. Our Peacekeeping System is in effect across all our platforms, including this thread.

1 minute ago, Sladicus said:

Looking to the future and not giving any further credence to the debacle that's happened in the last few days what can we expect from a storytelling position? What of the story lines Lang started? Will they be retconned or will they be picked up and continued. Is it possible that instead of seeing you guys on damage control we see something in regards to the future, so those actually online and playing have reason to do so other than masochism.

As Elle just got his internet back, I plan to go through the logs of what's been going on while he had no internet and work with him to plan our way onwards from that.
Lang has given me some info extra-logs of what he planned to do / where he was going with the stories he was saying, so it's a matter of sifting through that material and pick our next move. 
There's no intent to "Retcon" the events, and we're going to meet to decide how to give the events that happened so far justice moving forward.

4 minutes ago, Sevencix said:

In your announcement, you speak as if we're all equally an issue.

Is it because you feel like we're all at fault, excluding your staff team, and that it was impossible to contact specific individuals about their behavior?

People have been quite able to talk, discuss, and try to improve what the server is about. And in the end, if we agreed, things changed. If we didn't, they didn't change.

The thread is not intended to name out individuals or give widespread blame. It is a statement on the policy we have, and there's a number of people who understand, and share these sentiments. There're a number who do not. In the end, the above line sums it up: We may talk, we may discuss, we may agree or disagree, but staff in the end decides what to do. 
We have a clearer set of guidelines to handle people that are demonstrating behaviour that isn't acceptable, and that'll be applied to them.
But no, to reiterate, The thread is not a blanket statement on everyone being at fault, even if it points mainly to the issues, there're quite a few players who fall in the "not vocal category" that is listed in that post.

2 minutes ago, McDankus said:

Why is it when a chunk of the community voices concerns/criticisms about a particular member of staff, it's met with weeks worth of silence and then an announcement which essentially seems like the turning of a blind eye

Most if not all the people discussing this thread, with a good chunk of them not even remotely related to me on shores, have spoken out about issues within the community pertaining certain staff members and the general ideology of the server which, in truth, is going to drive things into the ground. 

I want to know why staff for the most part spend weeks without a single word uttered to their community, and then essentially make announcements that seem just as ignorant as before. I remember Jessica having the exact same behavior before they shut down Legacy because things weren't going their way. I just want to know why all of this is the case, because I'm not the only one who sees this.  

As outlined in the thread, the issues that are being brought up fall in the categories listed. At its core, we have a set of things we offer. If we don't agree with changing them, and asking to change them, no matter how much, how often, or how hard, won't achieve any positive result.

If your opinion is that the policies we follow are wrong, it is possible to bring them up, and if they don't abide to the intent we have for the place, we may change them.
But there's no intent to change the server's ideology based on the people who happen to play on it. If that makes it impossible for you to play here, and turns you to behaviour that goes against our rules in an attempt to force the direction to change, you will be punished.
The vision and goal of the server is not to service and give players what they want, but to provide a place for people who enjoy the place we're making to continue doing so.
I can see why from your perspective, you think that's going to be an issue. But that comes from a matter of your expectations not matching the server's. The most we can do is outline what the server is about, and ensure that those who play here get the same idea. 

• Issues that arose on other servers, and disagreements with the core of the ideology of the server are not issues we can resolve. 
  • Issues stated towards a staff member are a matter for staff, to discuss with the rest of staff.
  • You may not demand us to take actions for your concerns. If those concerns are shared, seen as valid, or relevant, they'll be acted upon. Otherwise, you will have to accept the result. Insisting will not achieve anything positive.

This is also not a place to discuss Jessica, Legacy, or whatever other place this is not. Refrain from it in the future.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, McDankus said:

1cca08e4bebc99c86dddb9c231f6b8fb.png

So does this mean that the majority of the communities opinions on recent topics pertaining staff behavior and attitude and the way the server functions has been seen as invalid? Only asking because the announcement posted by you clearly seems to nullify those concerns. 

There's no statement made on the validity of these concerns. If they're valid, then you'll see change happen, if they're not, you won't. 
We won't be making statements on our decision making process however.
As I wrote one line above what you quoted

• Issues stated towards a staff member are a matter for staff, to discuss with the rest of staff.

9 minutes ago, McDankus said:

4af61d6ff118de63aca1875c819aa1e9.png

Does this mean that we will see less transparency between staff and players if staff are adamant to keep 90% of the issues behind a smoke screen to be discussed by themselves? Given there's been enough issues regarding staff taking weeks to respond to a single community problem, I do believe hiding most of your statements/decision making behind a closed door and essentially shut the community out for days on end isn't the best way to go about it. 

Not necessarily. What that statement means is that, when an issue pertains to a staff member, it will be discussed privately amongst the current staff members. Other public issues, such as concerns for Haven's Logistics, or concerns for how some other things may be the way they are, are not necessarily going to be hidden behind a smoke screen.

Do, however, bear in mind that there is no guarantee that you will receive an OOC answer, and you may instead just receive the old "FOIC". (As is explained better in our most recent announcement).

4 minutes ago, McDankus said:

4af61d6ff118de63aca1875c819aa1e9.png

Does this mean that we will see less transparency between staff and players if staff are adamant to keep 90% of the issues behind a smoke screen to be discussed by themselves? Given there's been enough issues regarding staff taking weeks to respond to a single community problem, I do believe hiding most of your statements/decision making behind a closed door and essentially shut the community out for days on end. 

Can you retype? That last sentence makes no sense and comes across as more of a statement than a question.

On a side note, let's keep hyperbolic statements like "90%, Most of, Almost all, etc" without proof to a minimum, that goes for everyone. It's not conducive to a proper discussion.

19 hours ago, McDankus said:

Can we actually get some proper guidelines for stuff like this for once then? It's the same with the procedure of punishment, there's no real guideline that shows what happens to a staff member when they act outright or in an unsavory manor. Surely if staffs attitude to player attitude is "if you don't like it, leave" then surely the attitude pertaining staff attitude should be "if you're not respectful for the position, leave". It works both ways really. If you want understanding, then get some guidelines set up about how staff plan to handle issues with staff members publicly so the community has some peace of mind.

Given some staff members have used hyperbolic statements to justify punishments of players in recent times, I'm going to say this is the pot calling the kettle black here my friend. I'm willing to take it to PMs rather than derail the thread. Regardless, my above question stands. 

In the event that those guidelines exist, those are not for players to know, as it is does not act upon them and is considered Staff-Classified Information, similarly to how the general playerbase does not necessarily have all the details behind other systems or guidelines. I assure you, however, that your concerns are noted