Sign in to follow this  
Varen

On our Community, tone, and what we're offering.

Continuing the Prologue/Legacy/Wake community.
Let's begin to set the tone for this post: I was there when Legacy was put down, and I have no intention to bring it back. What the place stood for, what it wanted to achieve, what kind of community it fostered...
I have no interest in any of it, and the model I am working on for a community comes from roleplay experiences I had far before even knowing of Legacy's existence. This means that sentences such as "This person used to do X and Y" have little to no weight to me, and that the standards and methods of approach that you expect from these communities are not necessarily the right ones to use here.

What you know IC, is what you may know OOC.
This is crucial on our server. You are not owed an explanation of what happens IN character, outside of the relevant IC interactions. 
An influx of insanes? Maybe a lot of refugees washed up and got captured.
A sudden disaster? Someone probably worked towards making that happen.
But, if it happens IC, find out IC. 
Do not come demanding to know “Why did this happen?”, for it is not something you should know, unless your character finds out.
If you have doubts of something not being taken in consideration, then asking about it to a staff member is fine. But beyond that, it is up to staff whether that is relevant or not, and if it’ll change anything, as they are the ones who hold the tools to see the whole picture.

Let’s make it clear what this place is about, and hold no illusions to keep people who want something else.
This is the place we're building, we're the DMs, and we own the house. Some come in, don't even bring snacks, and request to change things to suit their views.
When told that something isn't going to happen, that they have to work towards things following our rules, the option of changing how it works isn't in their hands.
People have been quite able to talk, discuss, and try to improve what the server is about. And in the end, if we agreed, things changed. If we didn't, they didn't change.
Berating, insulting, and continuing such behaviour only serves to make people bitter, angry, and not want to deal with any of it. 
Patience is not unlimited, and as much as Elle can be an Angry Texan™, it isn't without rhyme or reason. 

Some place the problem on Elle, but the problem isn't Elle. Because Elle's "crime" is to not have given up like the other keepers who had to suffer through dealing with this behaviour.

The intent behind the new “Peacekeeping” rules. 
We're still here, but we're not here for the people who act that way. We're here for all the others who play, roleplay, and talk with us as peers and not like servants that must give you the experience you demand. We're the ones who offer something, and we're the ones with the right to choose what to do with our time in the first place.
Perhaps that is the least vocal side of the community, but it's the side that enjoys what we've got here. 

"It's my way, or the highway." 
If you want to choose who your DM is, you should move to play at another table. Elle didn't come up with that sentiment. We did, together, speak of what the aim of the community is. What the goal of it is, what it's trying to foster. What we're offering. 
You do not have a right to demand changing that. This is our free lemonade stand, and no matter how much you want orange juice, we don't have it.

• Like 2

As casting a widespread net over every player wasn't what I intended, after a chat with Dascombe on discord I edited the text to the following:

Let’s make it clear what this place is about, and hold no illusions to keep people who want something else.
This is the place we're building, we're the DMs, and we own the house. Some come in, don't even bring snacks, and request to change things to suit their views.
When told that something isn't going to happen, that they have to work towards things following our rules, the option of changing how it works isn't in their hands.