Sign in to follow this  
foogleman

RPG starting XP revamp

A wild foogleman appears.

So this was a thought that's been going around in my head for quite a while now.

While progression is fun and all, I now firmly believe that the best course of action for this server would be, if the character creation gets a little overhaul.

I believe it would be more fun and definitely more alt-friendly if new characters could start out with 3-4 months worth of XP to freely distribute at character creation between their combat skills and crafting skills. That way, a new character doesn't have to start out as a nobody and people, especially new players, had a lot more opporunities in what they wanna do right off the bat. Someone could start out as a veteran combatant, a skilled magic user or a seasoned craftsman. Or a mix of anything, really. And there could still be progression, only that progression would go slowly and more focused.

How do I even get to this idea?

Well, I thought back of the old Legacy days and about other private server I have been on. The matter of fact is.. none of these past servers had what Unknown Shores has. The RPG system and all that. Still, people had a lot of fun on them, character variety was great and ideas and concepts were thrown around everywhere. And I believe that it was mostly due to the fact that you could start out as any character you wanted. There was no RPG system holding you back. You wanted to be an adventurer? No problem. You wanted to be a skilled blacksmith? Sure thing.

But on Unknown Shores, you can only start out as one thing:  Untrained Scrub that is good at nothing.

Which is ultimately very limiting for new players.

The one thing that I believe is the best thing about the RPG system is, that it brings order and fairness to the RP environment. Which is the one thing that was always missing on Legacy RP. We don't do a simple d20 roll here to see if that seasoned Kaldorei Archer hits the mark or shoots herself in the foot. We don't "pretend" that this one blacksmith guy over there is a master in his craft and has 150 Thorium Bars in his backpack to craft that very special armor for an event. Those were all Legacy problems that the RPG did fix. But starting out as a untrained scrub, that is not a problem that the RPG system fixed, it is rather a problem it created.

Progression can still be a thing, even if players would start out as "someone". There is many ways someone can progress, as there has always been. Just throwing that thought out there. I do believe it would improve the experience, especially for new players.

You currently require 5999 productivity to go from 0 to max XP.
That's 83 days of XP focused on combat. I've the feeling that you've written this bit but haven't looked at what our updates did to XP distribution a while ago!
And a few professions have received new recipes that make them quite a lot faster to level up as well. Plus there's an upcoming update that'll make it even more streamlined.
Furthermore, with your starting stats, you can now take on most things that once required a veteran player to handle. The bar has been moved already!

Mhm! This was one of the biggest issues we had from new players, the fact that you started so far below veteran players, and progressed so slowly on an 'infinite' scale of power stat wise, that you may never actually catch up to them. We've been working on improving both the RPG and DM side of things the last few months, even if it isn't incredibly fast a lot of older issues like the starting XP you brought up have been addressed. 

We appreciate that you thought of the server and how to better it, still.