Sign in to follow this  
hotdog99

[SUGGESTION] Magical Messengers (To communicate over long distances)

• Set a new NPC in each major hub (Port of Thousand Names, Silver-Eye, Menhirs, Drustgarde, and Grom'Goshar).
  • Have them be strictly neutral faction.
  • Permit players to pay this NPC (3-5 silver?) to send a message (enter message in a textbox most likely) to another player.
  • An "illusion/image" of the NPC will be spawned at the message's recipient.
  • NPC relays the message, then disappears. The NPC will not mention who the message is from.
  • Players can disable the ability to have messages sent to them.

What is the lore behind this?

A mage has managed to wrestle control of the Doldrums' ley lines enough to be able to project their self anywhere within the Doldrums for a previously visited area or those he can scry. He, however, cannot see more than what he's seen before, whether through experience or the person he scries. Given that fact, he has trained apprentices to lead his business that will fund his continued research. These apprentices share the same power to project themselves. They choose to project themselves rather than seep into minds to send messages because of the confirmed rumors of a wicked being doing just that. The mage and its apprentices' neutrality and secrecy (both in clients and techniques) is maintained to confidently offer their services.

What is the mechanical reason?

Not needing to physically travel to other places to send a message is a significant breach of one's ability to spy on others. Given that fact, the messenger physically appears and relays the message publicly in the range of /say. 

Their neutrality is to avoid factions from abusing the lore, and trying to lazily uncover the beginning of the way out of the Doldrums.

Given I have zero idea what the true lore of the Doldrums is, it can be changed to any degree to suit this suggestion.

Edited by hotdog99

2 hours ago, Dascombe said:

Or I could just send an IC letter through the forums to the player's account?

May be my sole opinion but I think that's silly. There is only two ways to actually address that type of roleplay; be the one receiving that letter, or somehow know it exists and steal it.

How is that letter getting to the other person? Does anyone know you're writing it? If robbed, are you actually going to remember to present the fact you have it on you? Sending a letter over the forums is borderline powergaming in my eyes, which is why I suggested this.

I had an idea for a courier character back when things were a little more fresh and chaotic. And when silver had more value. Could still be resurrected.

4 hours ago, Bob Ross said:

I had an idea for a courier character back when things were a little more fresh and chaotic. And when silver had more value. Could still be resurrected.

One does/did exist. She was a part of the Caveat. She ended up AFK-ing most of the time she was logged in, because it was a desperate attempt to stay logged in in-case work was available but also too boring.

Even with this suggestion there still could be a market for literal couriers. I would hope to never see a NPC deliver a tangible package from player to player.

Edited by hotdog99

Part of the problem is that The Doldrums is both too large and small at the same time. Taking a package from one end of Opej'nor to another is a matter of minutes, but traversing to another island can take considerably longer where there isn't much to do but stand around, and dedicating a character to just standing at boat masters is pretty dull. If there was another perk to it, I could see it being a more desirable job and service. Something like but mot necessarily banking for powerful items. Maybe. I dunno.