Sevencix

coins and shit

hey, so i wanted to address the issue that coins are seemingly inflated and rather useless at the current moment, therefore i've come up with a suggestion that may or may not help just that. this regards the npcs that sells the gathered resources outside of the inn in silver-eye, such as rugged timber and simple metal

-decrease the price of imaterials from 25 to 15 each
-cap the amount being able to be purchased to 5 every 48h
-make a single rare material from every profession available for purchase once every 72h for the price of 35-45 silver

now i may look myself as a god but i am nowhere near that, therefore i wished to know you people's 2 cents on this matter

• Like 4

I've proposed this before, but they want trade to be done mostly between players.

I don't like it, either.

one could argue that some trade with silver is better than none, the way i view it currently is that coins are simply a hollow economy as it stands
we are too small to have an economy where people agree something is worth like irl, therefore it is a necessity to offer services with coins more widespread

We don't want NPCs to compete with players on resources. 25 means they're expensive, and that you should look for players to buy them first.

We -do- want to add more uses for silver, but these uses should be for something that players cannot already do on their own.

10 minutes ago, Varen said:

We don't want NPCs to compete with players on resources. 25 means they're expensive, and that you should look for players to buy them first.

We -do- want to add more uses for silver, but these uses should be for something that players cannot already do on their own.

could you enlighten me on some of the ideas you have regarding these services players can't provide?

since if my suggestion would be allowed, i'd recommend allowing one to spend silver instead of productivity to craft an item, of course the amount of silver that can be used a day should be limited in any case

maybe just add in a new series of recipes too that does quirky stuff

Building 'proper' structures will have a silver cost, upkeep for NPCs will have a silver cost. I think those are the main things we are looking to add in the future. If you have suggestions that fit Varen's criteria, I'm sure we can look at those too. 

We do need a way to increase the value of the silver coin. Currently we operate on the trust system. The way most modern currencies work. A dollar is only worth a dollar because we trust that it can be spent in order to obtain something of it's value, and the silver coin is exactly the same. U-S should work off of some variation of a gold standard, when countries worked off of the gold standard their money could be exchanged for gold through the government and therefore it was backed by a highly sought after material. Currently the silver coin is only valuable because we say it is, and there isn't much proof of that, especially given the allowance we receive each hour. The two can't really work at the same time though the allowance is a smaller fish and perhaps a necessary one. We do need something valuable that we can exchange silver for that has a set value to the community. It doesn't necessarily have to be a gathered resource either. It could be something RP related that people would enjoy like approved spell visuals or something that aid in RP. I know I for one would like to pimp out ny characters with neat sparkle hands and wouldn't mind saving up for the coolest ones. I'd even slave away for hours providing a comprehensive list of the best ones. Also maybe base game enchants for the particle effects alone. Want a fancy flame blade? That'll be one thousand silver, sir. This preserves the crafting good economy being in the hands of the players and adds value to silver. The problem every MMO has with currency is inflation, and it's money sinks that fix that, gruesome as that term may be. The other way is premium currency but ho boy are we not going there. Hello blizz, we are being good, no scary papers please :^)

Premium objects independent from crafting might work as well. Luxury items that couldn't be crafted and had to have been pilfered from wrecks by shady black market goblin types. But that might be a stretch.

Spell effects and weapon effects might be a better fit. Thoughts?

Also I am in the field (army shit hoo-ah) so don't expect me to be super fast in responses. I'm just in between shooting shit.

• Like 2

My two copper on this:

Silver is a bit of a shit currency as it doesn't have much in the way of sinks at the moment. On previous servers there have been pleanty of options to 'sink' coins whereas current the amount of silver increases massively with very few sinks. The only ones I know of are as follows:

• Boat travel (most people ignore and go for the fatigue cost
  • Resources traders (as stated above, the cost is so high most people go with players
  • Occassionally as a cost in events when dealing with certain NPCs

The currency only has value, as stated above, when players attribute value to it.

It's also worth pointing out that an insane amount of players can be spotted afking in-game and (do please correct me if I am wrong here) from what i've seen it continues irrespective of the AFK tag

Lets also throw into the mix that there are vast amounts of players who, by now, will have a huge amount of silver due to their massive amount of playtime, this messes around with trading costs drastically and makes it obscenely difficult for new players to make use of silver even if there are some people out there using it.

Right now most traders will not accept silver unless it is for GHI objects (I am one guilty as charged here) and they will happily pay silver to -BUY- resources but will always insist on trade when selling resources.

Personally I reckon there should be a finite yet trackable amount of silver in-game as well as something such as the 'Silver-Eye Mint'. The value of Silver deteriorates as the amount in-game increases.

An initial 'starter' sum of silver should be inserted in-game either through a 'float' sum for a few player traders or even as quest rewards.

Having experimented with this back on Legacy using a GHI currency I can vouch that it works very well. Folks are more obliged to use the currency when it has a value and when they know it is a rare commodity and not one they simply need to afk for an hour for (or go crack open a couple of chests)

I personally would like to rectify this by holding an auction once a month with valueable / rare items with the only medium being used as silver.

Furthermore, the organisations on Silver-Eye (Silverscale company?) could be doing a lot more with silver... extorting people and doing things such as providing 'up and coming' business opportunities with things like loans and other nice little touches such as 'kraken insurance' for your ships and vessels.

TL:DR

Lots of scope for silver

Needs to be limited

Needs to have more 'sinks' to reduce the amount present on the server

Needs more action on the part of both staff (NPCs doing auctions with rare recipies / nice loot etc) and players (player-ran auctions, goblin insurance companies etc)

• Like 2

On 7/23/2018 at 5:38 PM, Nostra said:

Building 'proper' structures will have a silver cost, upkeep for NPCs will have a silver cost. I think those are the main things we are looking to add in the future. If you have suggestions that fit Varen's criteria, I'm sure we can look at those too. 

This is only useful to guilds, people who want to settle and train guards. The typical random player won't have any use for those.

What the solo player needs, though, is a way to get more productivity/resources. That's why mats should be sold by silver.

Let me hire peons/grunts with silver who will gather materials for me. That way I can spend the spare silver I have AND not have to rely on the RNG of gathering to craft items.

• Like 1