Sign in to follow this  
Khor

Grave Wounds

Hey. This might just be me that's new, but your 'injure' system that applies Grave Wounds is a bit over the top. I try to explore the area to look around, sure, knock me down and apply a penalty. But three days? Not to mention having to AFK on a bedroll for 5 hours if anything.

If an injury isn't applied to me during an interaction with players or DM, I'm not going to bother RP'ing it out anyways. So what is it there for? Plain and simple punishment for curious noses?

This, alongside the quite stale storyline and guilds selection, is one thing that's starting to push me outta here, if I've to be honest.

Yeah Grave Wounds is just a horrid mechanic in my opinion, especially when Fleeing is near impossible in my experience and the mobs can screw over new players. 

As for the storyline and the guilds, hoo boy that's a whole other can of worms.

Posted (edited)
57 minutes ago, Khor said:

I'm not going to bother RP'ing it out anyways. So what is it there for? Plain and simple punishment for curious noses?

What do you think should happen if players try to fight a giant elemental and they fail?

I would make it so mobs under CR30 don't apply gravy, I guess. They just give you a minor injury and leave you at low hp.

Edited by AlexV

1 minute ago, AlexV said:

What do you think should happen if players try to fight a giant elemental and they fail?

Well then it should be RP'd out, as stated by the text written right before the quotation. If they survive, that is.

Just now, Khor said:

Well then it should be RP'd out, as stated by the text written right before the quotation. If they survive, that is.

RPed out how? Mobs don't emote. So you get an injury from them when you lose. Which you are expected to roleplay, yes. Is that injury too long? Arguably, yes.

Just now, AlexV said:

RPed out how? Mobs don't emote. So you get an injury from them when you lose.

RP'd out with the fellow players who was present. By all means, it happened. I'm just not motivated to RP it out when I'm just out exploring the server as a relatively new fellow, it feels too OOC.

So you refuse to roleplay the repercussions of you icly traveling across a dangerous world. So basically you're saying that every NPC, unless puppeted by a GM is too underpowered to wound your character or what? I'm not following your logic here.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, AlexV said:

I would make it so mobs under CR30 don't apply gravy, I guess. They just give you a minor injury and leave you at low hp.

The injury system needs a rework to be honest. I should not receive injuries from fucking snakes when I'm fully armored. I fought a Porcupine once and somehow obtained 3 wounds at the end and my fatigue was still low as shit.

IMO, injuries should be based around 3 things:

1. Fatigue Level
2. Armor 
3. Enemy CR

So a guy in mail shouldn't get injured by a viper, but someone in robes could, though he likely has magical armor to compensate.

The idea would be not to scour the land on your own, even if OOC.
It'd mean you know the place in and out without never having set foot there ICly.

While I do agree it's a long time to spend doing nothing. The 8 hours you have to sit on a bed roll is a day or two worth of roleplay for most people who end up RPing at base.

It's hard to have a world that is supposed to be "dangerous" and yet allow people to walk headlessly around without any sort of rebuke.

It's very likely the server is simply not for you. It seems to cater more to the sandbox players than those who want a strict storyline unfold before them.

4 minutes ago, Khor said:

RP'd out with the fellow players who was present. By all means, it happened. I'm just not motivated to RP it out when I'm just out exploring the server as a relatively new fellow, it feels too OOC.

Don't explore the island as a guy who just washed ashore. Go in a group of people, use caution. These are things your character would be doing automatically to survive. You see a huge bush in a jungle, you more than likely shouldn't just blindly walk through it. You see a massive crystal structure in the middle of a scar in the island, maybe you shouldn't approach it alone.

58 minutes ago, Khor said:

Hey. This might just be me that's new, but your 'injure' system that applies Grave Wounds is a bit over the top. I try to explore the area to look around, sure, knock me down and apply a penalty. But three days? Not to mention having to AFK on a bedroll for 5 hours if anything.

If an injury isn't applied to me during an interaction with players or DM, I'm not going to bother RP'ing it out anyways. So what is it there for? Plain and simple punishment for curious noses?

This, alongside the quite stale storyline and guilds selection, is one thing that's starting to push me outta here, if I've to be honest.

First of all, the Grave Wounds thing isn't particularly over the top. The three days thing is negligable considering A. It continues depleating even when logged off and B. Being in a bed cuts this down drastically, and this is before even applying surgery to the whole process (of which I know X3 people capable of doing surgery in the Opej'Nor port and they often do so for free)

The 'afk on a bedroll' thing is only really applicable if you are doing so in your own little tent in the middle of the jungle. If you do it in the tent in the Opej'Nor port there are usually people willing to RP with you.

The part I have highlighted here in red is just simply (pardon my french here) an immensely dickish attitude. An idea of "I have done something stupid to warrent grave injuries and so I will ignore it"

You complain about it being there for curious noses.

Let me draw you to this particular adage

Having been someone quite new to the server for less than a month I can tell you right now that there are pleanty of people willing to give advice in the jungle. My human hunter has told multiple newbies to the server to STAY OUT OF THE LONG GRASS (Cue link to a viper image here)

If you go wandering out into a jungle along expecting no consequences then... honestly there's not much else to say here.

37 minutes ago, Caid said:

Yeah Grave Wounds is just a horrid mechanic in my opinion, especially when Fleeing is near impossible in my experience and the mobs can screw over new players. 

As for the storyline and the guilds, hoo boy that's a whole other can of worms.

Fleeing is difficult, not impossible. If you have a check around the forums you can find that there is a particular stat that if you put points into it, it will make fleeing from combat a lot easier (Something I have done on my coward character)

Just now, Khor said:

"Just RP it out" is highly subjective. Some people will do a quick /e bandages wounds whilst others will do it for longer.]

TL:DR

The jungle is a nasty place, don't go alone

Stay out the long grass

Don't autowalk

Don't afk

Go ask a healer in the port for help if you ignore any of the above

A number of times I've been out, and I've accidentally run into a few too many mobs for me to handle. Even if I was alone and nobody saw it, and a quick 5 hour idle on a bedroll would have fixed the problem, I've roleplayed the injury. I think it has led me to a handful of interesting character interactions. An example would be, I jumped over a rock right into a pack of three ghosts on Tordala, got wounded, and spent the next few days fighting off a magical ailment. One that, had events gone somewhat different, could have ended my character's life altogether.

None of this is to say that the injury system doesn't need a rework. I think that much is obvious. I actually find myself in agreement with AlexV in saying that it would be logical to remove the ability to give grave wounds from mobs under a certain CR. I would say lower than 23, but the concept is solid.

Its roleplay. Use your imagination and play for the story, rather than being the hardest dude on the boulevard.

3 minutes ago, Caid said:

So a guy in mail shouldn't get injured by a viper, but someone in robes could, though he likely has magical armor to compensate.

Take it there and I can tell you why you're wrong.

1 minute ago, Caid said:

The injury system needs a rework to be honest. I should not receive injuries from fucking snakes when I'm fully armored. I fought a Porcupine once and somehow obtained 3 wounds at the end and my fatigue was still low as shit.

1. Fatigue Level
2. Armor 
3. Enemy CR

Unless you're walking around head to fucking toe with every inch covered I can see you getting bit by a viper and poisoned by its bite. I should also mention that injuries can be self inflicted, a tired warrior goes to swing and throws his back out, a mage overexerts and gives himself a sick migraine.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

Hey I can appreciate the various points here, and I won't straight up say I'm not lazy or that I'm not a bit dickish. I'm just new and still getting a feel on the server. It might not be the server is for me, and maybe it's just a bit too mechanics focused than RP focused. But we'll see, for now, this just annoyed me a tad bit. I'll continue to wander around and see if I can't catch onto the plotlines and guilds, etc. Thanks for the opinions and stuff.

Edited by Khor

3 minutes ago, Daft said:

Unless you're walking around head to fucking toe with every inch covered I can see you getting bit by a viper and poisoned by its bite. I should also mention that injuries can be self inflicted, a tired warrior goes to swing and throws his back out, a mage overexerts and gives himself a sick migraine.

Well yeah if poison was a valid injury I could see that. Is it? I've seen Fatigued, Bruised and Numb so far and I think one that lowers spellcaster stats. And yes that's why fatigue is a factor, but getting bruised while at 2% fatigue makes me feel worthless in a fight.

1 minute ago, Caid said:

Well yeah if poison was a valid injury I could see that. Is it? I've seen Fatigued, Bruised and Numb so far and I think one that lowers spellcaster stats. And yes that's why fatigue is a factor, but getting bruised while at 2% fatigue makes me feel worthless in a fight.

Shit happens. At its core, this is a video game my man. If it was just PURE RP it would just be paragon and maybe (Not trying to be rude) you're not here for a mixture of systems and rp which is fine but if thats true it might not be the right server for you man. 

Keep in mind, bruised, numb and fatigued can be inflicted irl pretty easily and a jungle viper prolly has some nasty ass venom which likely wouldnt just leave you with a bruise. I'll leave you to google viper venom effects to the body.

As one of the most injured people on the server. You really need to take it easy. Yes it sucks, but there is ways around it. In the immortal words of Axis in regards to my issues "Get good". If you want to be a combatant, talk with one of the seasoned combat system people for advice in regards to a build, but your character is going to be training for a while.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Daft said:

Shit happens. At its core, this is a video game my man. If it was just PURE RP it would just be paragon and maybe (Not trying to be rude) you're not here for a mixture of systems and rp which is fine but if thats true it might not be the right server for you man. 

Keep in mind, bruised, numb and fatigued can be inflicted irl pretty easily and a jungle viper prolly has some nasty ass venom which likely wouldnt just leave you with a bruise. I'll leave you to google viper venom effects to the body.

Hey I'm just saying it as it is. As of now I can just avoid the Vipers by clicking and looking for nameplates until I get a weeks worth of combat XP to dump into my stats.

And please don't say it's not the right server. This is a good server with people I enjoy RPing with and its much better to the only alternative, which is ERP Heaven. The system just needs a few tweaks is all I'm saying.

1 hour ago, Caid said:

1. Fatigue Level
2. Armor 
3. Enemy CR

What you describe is impossible. You had Fatigue from earlier.

The viper is gigantic.

I think the injury system works fine. RP on a bedroll for 5 hours. GG. Alternatively, don't bitch if you weren't being careful when exploring the wild alone.

• Like 2

For what it is worth, Vrahn is reworking the fatigue and injuries we have, it takes time and there is a lot of other things being worked on at the same time so it will be a while before see it. 

17 hours ago, Khor said:

Feel free to create your own guild or even storyline! We have tools available if that interests you. Check out the Dungeon Master role in this link! 

• Like 1

I think grave wounds is appropriate. The length is painful though. If it were down to 24 hours it would be more easy to swallow.

As for new players, it is a very real thing that people get frustrated and would likely leave if friends aren't present to encourage them when they receive gravy. Either some sort of newbie appropriate mobs could be littered about so people can practice against the real thong instead of dummies, or a free gravy free incapacitation for new accounts. I know fro watching new players the first thing they do is explore the NPCs at silver-eye, take a boat to opej, and either fight crabs until they die or get ass blasted by a panther.

Dying to snakes and pathers is a US right of passage. We've all been there. It was a much bigger pain when bedrolls didn't remove it at all....