Sign in to follow this  
Val

Provisioner Suggestions

Much of the Provisioner profession is focused on utility. I'd like to see that utility expanded past simply just buff foods and in-combat potions. Here are just some of my thoughts and ideas on the matter.

Out of Combat Potions: While Gem-Trader Haseej offers some potions that might be useful, he doesn't have it all. Why not let us make some of the neat cosmetic potions found throughout the Alchemy profession in WoW? There's stuff ranging from the Sylvan Elixir (which hilariously turns you into a tree), along with oils which can temporarily petrify your character or make them lose their color for a short period of time. Deepstone Oil - Self-petrification. Desecrated Oil - Turns you grey-scale. Potion of Petrification - Turns you to stone. On top of that, food and first aid offer some ways to heal your character in short bursts, but why not some kind of out-of-combat rejuvenation potion, where it could functionally work similar to how alcohol can lower your fatigue?

Transmute: As someone who enjoys a lot of what Provisioner has to offer, perhaps something could be done within this profession to offer the utility of changing some materials into other ones. Perhaps it could be equal to a 1:1 exchange (Sturdy Metal for Soft Material, with Productivity being the true cost). If swapping materials back and forth to grind XP is a concern, perhaps it might be possible just to make these recipes not level your craft.

Balance Pass on Food: Basic food items seem to be more worth crafting than some of the higher tier items. Small buffs are nice, but it's the idea of making things which reduce fatigue and restore health that really draw me to the profession as a whole. The utility. Currently, there exists a recipe for an item called Perfect Dinner. One hour after consumed, it removes 1750 Fatigue and 350 Health. However, just crafting this item alone takes over fifty productivity worth of other crafted foods (and the provisioner goods that are required to craft those ones). This seems a bit... bad. Food could use a bit of an overhaul. Buff foods seem okay, but I'd rather have different tiers of food that reduce more fatigue / heal more and see the long-term buff side be passed off to the alchemical side of the profession.

Poisons/Weapon Oils: This one doesn't rank too highly on my list of "wants" out of the profession, but I'd like to list it just for the sake of getting the idea out there. There exist potions that can increase your damage output, damage reduction, and healing. These short-term in-combat buffs could be expanded to buffs that could alter your combat style further. Contact poisons which deal extra damage on hit for those flurry builds or a short term critical hit buff with a weapon oil.

Cross-Profession Crafting: Something that struck me as a smart move was to lock First Aid behind Mystic, but the Medical Kits deeper within Provisioner. This encourages people to work together to gain access to something that they otherwise wouldn't have: The almighty Surgery ability. While this mainly exists between Mystic and other professions (such as providing sigils and runes for weapons and armor), I'd like to see this expanded a little deeper. Perhaps recipes that create intermediary reagants might fulfill this role. Like for instance, perhaps a Provisioner needs an item only a Mystic can craft in order to brew a potion, or a weaponsmith might need a particular weapon oil or elixir to craft a higher tier weapon. Magic and all that.

A lot of these are non-specific in detail, but these are just my thoughts on how it could be expanded further in the future. Or perhaps even splitting it in half it the bloat grows to be too much. I like making utility items and I like what's already in Provisioner so far, but I always want to see more. Let me know your thoughts and your own ideas! Perhaps you can help flesh out some specific concepts that I have here.

Edited by Alchemage
  • Like 1

Out of Combat Potions:

That's what food already is for. If you  make potions like that, there would be no need for food. I like that potions are more of an "in combat" thing while food is out of combat. On the topic of the "cosmetic" potions, I'd rather not.  I only see a lot of memery going on with that.

Transmute:  Would rather have this on the Mystic.

Balance Pass:  We are overhauling the Fatigue and Injury system at the moment and will push that out soon. I'd wait with a balance pass until that is out.

Poisons/Oils: Roughly the same effect than potions. They simply buff you up with more damage.

Cross-Profession Crafting: I would want more of this, too. Worth thinking about.

• Like 1

New Suggestion

Mass Production for Provisioner: There's a lot of materials that can only be bought with productivity tokens. This sways the productivity costs for recipes to be generally higher than what it says on the tin. I think that it'd be wonderful if there was a way to for example -- turn glass into glass vials -- or break down greenery+rock salt to get spices. Other ideas would be to mass produce some of the tier 1 food items or bandages. But since they each take an inventory slot, might not be the best idea.

• Like 1